Tuesday 21 June 2016

Birthday Treats: Raw Chocolate Caramel Slices

Hello everyone!

Its June and even though the weather in Amsterdam isn't the most sunny at the moment I can't help but smile knowing that it's one of my favourite times of the year. I do have to say I am exhausted, the season at the Dutch National Ballet is coming to an end with only 5 more working days left and with 4 more performances in our last program "Transatlantic". I have had an adventurous season and have learned lots, and developed in ways of dancing and in everyday life. I am very happy and grateful for all the kindness that have been shown to me. With the end of the season being quite demanding both physically and mentally my body has asked numerous of time for some sweet treats, and of course how could I refuse myself of chocolate, and cake? It is the month of my birthday, and why not?!



On the day of my birthday I didn't really have the time to celebrate with stage rehearsals all day and night. So naturally I decided to scroll through both Instagram and Pinterest and find anything that I fancied... and truth be told I wrote down about 5 different choices. As of now I have already made 2 out of these 5 desserts, and I think I will make my way through them all eventually... but there is one that I must absolutely share with everyone... this is probably going to be one of my all time favourites for a very long time.


I don't remember why I almost started drooling when I saw this picture (probably because there was chocolate), I was literally almost late for a rehearsal because I was so excited and determined to make this for my birthday. I believe the picture of this dessert was floating about on Instagram, Im not a hundred percent sure which account, but it was beautiful. It was a Triple Layer Chocolate Caramel Slice... Ok if this doesn't make much sense, (so the first layer the Base, then the Caramel, and finally the Chocolate). Now what made this so exciting for me was because I wanted to figure out a way to make this recipe healthy... so that I could eat it for breakfast if I wanted, hahaha chocolate for breakfast YES PLEASE!



It took a bit of research, trial and error, but finally I can share my favourite version of these scrumptiously healthy chocolate treats. Did I mention its Raw, Vegan, Gluten Free, and most importantly super delicious. These slices won't be spiking blood sugars, in fact most of the sugar in this recipe comes from dates. So yup its super healthy, and will give you plenty of energy and happiness.

So lets get into the recipe!

Ingredients:

Base:
-1 cup Cashews
-1/3 cup Shredded Coconut
- 3/4 cup Soaked Dates
- Pinch of Sea Salt

Caramel:
-1 cup Soaked Dates
-3 Tbsp Coconut Oil
-3 Tbsp Tahini
-1/2 Tsp Vanilla Powder
- Pinch of Sea Salt

Chocolate:
- 3 Tbsp Cacao Powder
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 3 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 Tsp Carob Powder
- 1 Tsp Cacao Nibs (for sprinkling on top)

Directions:

1. Place the cashews and shredded coconut together into the food processor and process roughly together.
2. Drain the soaked dates (Don't throw away the date water, use it as a sweetener for other recipes) and add it along with a pinch of sea salt in the food processor along with the cashew and coconut and give it a few pulses until combined.
3. Press the dough into a lined square tin, (Mine is 23 cm (9") and place into the freezer to set.




4. For the Caramel place all ingredients into the food processor and blend until smooth. Spread this mixture evenly over the Base you just made, and place this back into the freezer.
5. Next for the Chocolate, melt the coconut oil, and add in the maple syrup. The heat should be quite low.
6. Whisk in the cacao powder and the carob powder. Keep whisking till the cacao and carob have dissolved into the mixture.
7. Now drizzle the Chocolate over the Caramel layer and sprinkle on the cacao nibs.
8. Cover with a plastic wrap and place into the freezer. This should set and be ready in less than an hour.

* If you don't like Cashew Nuts feel free to swap it with Almonds, or Walnuts, even Pecans would work very well.

* If you don't like Tahini, Almond butter, or Cashew butter, even Peanut butter would work too. (I personally love what the Tahini brings to this recipe)

* For the Chocolate remember to keep the heat of the saucepan on low and keep whisking to prevent it from burning.


So after waiting about an hour or so take it out of the freezer and just let it rest in room temperature for a few minutes. Now all you have to contemplate on is how you will divide up these slices. I managed about 9 squares... I had some left over ingredients from the base so I used two small oval ramekins as well. But the more the better in this case I say... It all comes down to the size of tin you use. Mind you my slices weren't exactly all consistent in size, the chocolate is slightly delicate to cut but the imperfection of the cuts just makes it look extra rustic and beautiful.



To really indulge myself even more I made a Raw Vanilla Cashew Mylk, and seriously a glass of this mylk with a slice of this Caramel square... is simply heavenly. (The recipe for the "Vanilla Cashew Mylk" will be up in a future blog post.) I had a really awesome birthday thanks to these little squares they were really better than any cake I could have asked for, not to mention they are much healthier. Please let me know if you end up trying this! I would love to know how it goes!!! 

xoxo
Coco




No comments:

Post a Comment